about leigh meredith
Leigh Meredith, Certified Laughter Yoga Teacher, has been leading laughter yoga for over seven years. She was certified as a leader through Bharata Wingham in Yogaville and earned her teacher certification after studying with the founder of Laughter Yoga, Dr. Madan Kataria.
Leigh has led over one thousand widely diverse groups in Laughter Yoga sessions. She has taught 7 Certified Laughter Yoga Trainings and has been featured by almost every major media source in the Charlottesville area. She currently leads laughter yoga with the UVa staff to help lower stress levels and boost productivity. Her volunteer work is listed below.
Leigh began her laughter adventure as adjunct therapy for depression, so is no stranger to anxiety and sadness. Her journey of laughter for no reason has led her to a much lighter perspective and many positive relationships founded on joy. She revels in seeing faces light up within a few minutes of a laughter yoga session and the healing and relaxation people report as they practice laughter yoga.
Leigh holds a Bachelor of Science in Sociology from Guilford College. She has traveled most of Western Europe and the former Eastern bloc countries, including living in London, Munich and Tirana, Albania. She appreciates the universal language of laughter and how it intrinsically communicates peace across barriers that would divide us.
Leigh has an extensive background in marketing and web design and uses social media to keep in touch about YogaLaughs classes and events. She develops small business websites from start-to-finish and helps clients brainstorm how and what they need to communicate online.
"Leigh brings total openness to the classroom, encouraging laughter yet accepting whatever comes. Her support and highly serious silliness inspires you to discover your own inner joy. I felt lovable and optimistic in her presence. And I laughed a lot."
--Cathy Harding, Editor, c-ville weekly.
Leigh's Volunteer History
- UVa R&R Retreats for staff, ongoing.
- Children and Youth Family Services, Charlottesville, November, 2012.
- Workshops at UVa Lorna Sundberg International Center, 2011-2013.
- UVa 13th and 14th Annual Winter Carnivals for Library Staff, 2011, 2012.
- Albemarle-Charlottesville Regional Jail. Re-entry program laughter yoga classes for women inmates, 2009 - 2012.
- Region Ten "Love Yourself to Health" Retreat, 2011, 2012, 2013.
- Multiple Sclerosis Yearly Camp, Smith Mountain Lake, Va., September 2010, 2011.
- Parkinson's Disease Support Group, Charlottesville, Va., Summer 2010.
- JABA Community Centers, Charlottesville and Surrounding, Fall/Winter 2010.
- Just Rewards, The Senior Center (Event), November 17, 2009, 2010.
- UVA IM-REC Sports Classes, Fall 2009.
- UVA Student Sociology Project on Laughter Clubs, Fall 2009.
- UVA Wellness First-Year Class, Laughter Yoga Session, Fall 2008, 2009.
- The Chocolate Festival, Charlottesville, October 18, 2008. Laughing Hershey's Kissses.
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society Yearly Retreat, 2008, 2010.
- Laughter Yoga Celebrations at Studio 206 - New Year's Eve, Valentine's, Bloomin' Spring, Rx Mother's Day, and "In Spite Of" Celebrations.
- Yogaville Laughter Yoga Classes and Leader Trainings, 2008, 2009, 2010.
- 2008 VHSL Student Leaders Conference, Monticello High School, April 19, 2008.
- Stars Group Homes for Mentally Ill Teens.